Sunday, August 23, 2009

Pillowcase Dress

So, I have been sewing up a storm lately, thanks to my friend and neighbor, Sally. She has been helping me with some great projects. How about this Halloween pillowcase dress for Meggie? It took 45 minutes, and really, it is much cuter than the picture looks. The funny thing is, the first time I put it on, Meg said, "I look like Uncle Nate in this dress!" Hmmmm . . . does Uncle Nate wear dresses?? I haven't seen him in a dress since I put him in one when I was 5 and he was 3 (I did his makeup and hair and everything). Anyway, we have been laughing about that little comment of Meggie's ever since.

Pillowcase dresses are a cinch! Here are some directions and here are some more. They are slightly different from the one I made which has a little ruffle top and elastic around the chest. These are adorable in the summer without a shirt under them, and totally cute in the winter with a long sleeve shirt. They sell on Etsy for bunches of money (way more than what it would cost for you to make them yourself).
Pardon the "owie" on Meggie's forehead!

My first attempt at applique with the word "candy". It was surprisingly simple to do!
Note to self: get a better camera, or take classes, or both.

10 comments:

Melanie said...

I'm really impressed, Amanda. Those dresses are so cute. I'd love to know more about the other sewing projects you've been doing. How on earth do you applique? Dumb question but I really don't know. Was the word "candy" sewn on?

Katie said...

Cute!!

adorable pearsons said...

That is adorable! I've been dying to get back to my sewing machine- this just might be the extra motivation I need :). So cute!

Chelsea and Cody said...

So cute!!!! Not to mention the adorable little girl in the dress...what happened to her head?!?!

Emilee said...

I just set up a table in my basement so that when the older kids go back to school I can scrapbook and sew without covering my kitchen table. You may have just inspired a project!

Amy said...

I love that you are learning to sew...or sew better! We should get together and have a sewing day! I have a big pile of things I need to hem, create, and take in! I can even bring treats!

Ashley Wray said...

Seriously impressive! I might have to give them a shot. Megs is so cute, owie or not!

Celeste said...

If I had a girl... so cute!

Sally said...

Oh my gosh! Those pictures are adorable, even if they are blurry, lol! You are a natural.... seamstress, that is. We'll talk about your photography skills another time. :)

Heather said...

That cracked me up. Heidi and I used to dress my brother up to and then one day my dad said we had to stop - "I think he is starting to like it". So no more makeup, curlers, and dressing up in dresses. Very cute dress though, just can't make those things with boys, right Melanie? So if I have a girl ever I will be in serious trouble.