Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Mayfair


If someone could figure out a way to hook me up to an IV and pump toasted coconut through it, I would be a happy woman . . . . . . 

When my mother-in-law was here a couple of weeks ago, she mentioned how much she loved macaroons.  So, in my never-ending quest to become the favorite daughter-in-law, I decided to try out a few recipes that I could take to our family reunion in Tahoe next week.  When I was in college, a roommate of mine made these coconut macaroons with cherries and chocolate.  Yes, cherries and chocolate (my favorite Sees candies are the Mayfairs, which are undoubtedly the most delectable thing you'll ever taste, full of cherries and chocolate).  Anyway, I found a decent coconut macaroon recipe, made a few changes, added cherries and chocolate and Voila!  The perfect "Mayfair Macaroons". (Can I get sued for naming them after the Sees candy??)

Mayfair Macaroons
2/3 cup all-purpose flour

5 1/2 cups flaked coconut

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk

1 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 teaspoons almond extract

1 10-ounce jar maraschino cherries, chopped, with all the juice squeezed out of them

¾ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (or, as much as desired)

 

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.

 

In a large bowl, stir together the flour, coconut and salt. Stir in the sweetened condensed milk, vanilla, and almond using your hands until well blended. Use an ice cream scoop to drop dough onto the prepared cookie sheets. Cookies should be about golf ball size.

 

Bake for 12 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven, until coconut is toasted.





1 comments:

Melanie said...

Amanda - you are funny. And these sound delish!!