Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Stainless Steel Boycott



If you have children under the age of 70, are planning on ever having children, or have anyone else's children living within 100 miles of you, DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT buy a stainless steel refrigerator (or dishwasher for that matter). I pride myself on being somewhat of a clean freak, and seriously, no amount of cleaning my stinkin' fridge will keep it clean for longer than 8.2 seconds. (I cannot emphasize the word "stinkin'" any more.)

I love the look of it, but despise the fact that we spent a fortune on it and I worry about it getting scratched by Ian using the front of it as the Indianapolis Speedway for his matchbox cars. Luckily, we were able to sell it last week and get a regular, run of the mill, garden variety fridge. (Kevin is getting it installed while I am in MT). Maybe I'll save up for one of those "satina" or "clean steel" fridges. Or, maybe I'll just count my blessings that I even have modern refrigeration in the first place.

For now, I am anxious to get back to Utah and my new, not-so-shiny fridge that I only have to wipe down once a week instead of once an hour.

5 comments:

Emilee said...

I got stainless steel appliances in my new house (I still really do like them)the fridge does have a few scratches, I have no idea where they came from. I clean it about once a week the rest of the time it is just how it is. My dishwasher for some reason stays quite finger-print free. Wait a minute, I just realized why ~ no wants to touch the dishwasher!

Katie said...

I love the look of stainless steel, but I had a sister tell me the same thing you just said. Hope your new one turns out lovely.

Celeste said...

I have been feeling that way about mine lately. I don't even want to bother cleaning it because Ty's little hand prints are going to be all over seconds later.

Shelly Hanson said...

You can barely see my fridge. it's covered in wood facia ie, it looks just like the cabinetry! you might think about that possibility someday. I love it.

The McBrides said...

I had to laugh when i read this because we already have SUCH a hard time keeping ours clean and we haven't even had kids yet! Dustin is CONSTANTLY cleaning it (it bugs him more than me) so we are in for a treat! I would also like to add that not only is stainless steel not a good idea- neither is a shiny gloss finished black piano. We are babysitting one for a friend and whenever kids come over it is a total fingerprint disaster- good thing it isn't our investment!