Monday, March 30, 2009

Little Jerry Seinfeld and Matilda






We have chickens! Kevin came home from work the other day with this hair-brained idea that we needed some chickens, yes, chickens. Thinking that this might pacify my husband and children's need for some sort of animal, and cause the least amount of work for me, I reluctantly agreed. The majority of Saturday was spent in purchasing the supplies and the kids and Kevin building our slightly WT chicken coop. So, now only $100 into the chickens and supplies and still not one egg to show for it. Hmmm . . . if these babies don't start producing soon, does anyone want to come for a chicken dinner this weekend???


(Thanks to the Black family for the great idea!)

7 comments:

Wendy said...

NO WAY--chickens!! I can't believe it. How exciting...we can't wait to come and see your new "pets". You are hilarious about the chicken dinner--haha!

max said...

My mom's neighbor bought 12 baby chicks thinking maybe half of them wouldn't make it to adulthood--they now have 12 egg-producing chickens. My mom hasn't bought eggs for some time now. I think it took awhile for the chickens to start producing and their first eggs were about half the size of regular eggs, but I think they are about normal-sized now. Good luck!

Ashley Wray said...

Chickens? That hilarious! But hey, homefully you'll save some $$$ on eggs! If not, a chicken dinner sounds good to me!
Good to know about the stainless steel. I love the look but I'm sure they are a pain to clean. We got a black oven and dishwaser and I like those a lot better than the boring white.

Melanie said...

Ha! I'm loving the names. You are such a good, good mom. I am still on the "refuse-a-pet" train.

Anonymous said...

I'm assuming The Deputy City Manager has check out the Zoning for Chickens in Sandy????

lol I loved having chicken when I was a kid. The neighbors finally had enough with the flies and the smell so we had to get rid of them...but we had 9 chicken. 2 shouldn't be a big deal.

Have fun!

Anonymous said...

LOL Amanda, this is Shelly! Somehow I'm logged in as Morgan...my daughter. Sorry for the confusion. :)

Emilee said...

I'm surprised that you can have chickens. I don't think that we can have them on our country subdivided acre, otherwise we probably would have them too. I hope the eggs start coming soon! Ian and Meggie will be good little collectors.