Monday, September 8, 2008

Trauma at the Humane Society

Lately I have been feeling really guilty for not letting my family have a dog. Kevin loves dogs and would get one in a second if I would consent. Meggie goes crazy every time she is around dogs. She laughs and giggles and can't stay away. Ian, however, is always a little timid and unsure. So . . . on Saturday we went to the Humane Society just to "check things out". We found this sweet little black cocker spaniel and decided to get it out and play with it on the grass. We took it outside, it instantly gave Kevin a hug, then came to me for a love. Oh, so sweet, we were thinking. I motioned to Ian and Meggie to come pet his back. They approached slowly, stuck out their hands and then, the dog went ballistic! He dug his teeth into Ian's chest. Kevin had to pull him off. I was MORTIFIED! We took Ian to the Emergency room and they quarantined the dog. It was really a traumatic experience. Needless to say, we all decided that maybe a goldfish would be a better bet for our family right now. This experience cured me of any guilt I was feeling about not wanting to get a dog!

Ian pretending to cry (I didn't get any pics on the day of the event so I had to try to get him to fake it today. Didn't really work!)

8 comments:

Melanie said...

Oh my goodness, Amanda - that is MORE than traumatic! I can't believe that happened...seriously, I was in shock reading your post. I'm so glad little Ian is ok...and good idea to just stick with a goldfishy for now.

Ashley Wray said...

I am so the same way, goldfish are just fine! Especially after that story, Ian looks like he's not too traumatized, poor little guy! Hooray for Kevin saving the day!

Suzie Egge said...

At least you are even allowing goldfish - these poor kids I don't think will ever see the day of any pets in our home....and thankfully they are deathly afraid of pretty much everything - they really just prefer the pretend ones...which is just find with me!!

Anonymous said...

What a horrible experience! I'm glad Ian is ok. My kids are deprived of a dog too and I think it will stay that way for a while.

Jean said...

Wow! That's horrible! Poor little Ian. I'm sure I've told you before, but, if you are in the market for fish, you should try a beta fish. We love ours. They just keep living. Even through forgetting to feed them and clean their water (I think it's been a couple months since the last time I cleaned the water). One even survived a kamikaze jump from the counter to the floor. Great pets.

Wendy said...

Whoa...seriously--poor little Ian (and poor parents too for having to experience that with him)! What a nightmare...I really can't believe that happened. Tell your kids that the new baby can be their "puppy" (haha). Give Ian a kiss for us.

Celeste said...

Oh my gosh... how sad and crazy that the dog went crazy like that! Maybe a goldfish isn't such a bad idea.

Katie said...

Ah!! My mom once dislocated her foot when she drop-kicked a daschund (is that how you spell it?) out the backdoor after it had bitten one of us. The dog was fine, but my mom limped around for a while, or so I'm told. She's always told me that your allegiances to a dog can change really quickly when it comes to your child.