Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Messes and brains and ugly cabinets

I am posting purely for the fact that in the future, when I am old and decrepit and my daughter is having to take care of me, she can be reminded of how many messes I have cleaned up of hers. Let's see, this is an example of a typical mess at a typical meal. This happens 4-5 times per day, multiply that by 365 days a year, she is 20 months old. Hmmm . . . that is about 3000 messes I've cleaned up. Keep in mind, this is just "meal messes". This doesn't include the times when we take her diaper off and she runs through the house and before we can catch her, piddles on everything in sight! Or, the crayons on the walls, mommy's lipstick on the furniture, the garbage can emptied and strewn about the house, etc, etc, etc. Yet, despite all of this, we still adore our little Princess and would not trade her for anything! Hmmmmm . . . complete and utter insanity and chaos has set in! (I'm sure that there are a million other mothers that would express the same sentiments!)




I totally forgot about these jammies in the bottom of Ian's drawer. He just looks so grown up. That same evening he had his hand over his chest and said to Kevin and I "Is this where my heart is?" "Yes, Ian, you are soooo smart!" I said. Then Kevin proceeded to ask "Where is your brain Ian?" After which he quickly and in all seriousness, pointed to his bum!


One final note, I love my new kitchen. The people we bought it from had really nice granite counter tops installed on top of really ugly cabinets. Come to find out, you cannot lift granite off cabinets without a serious chance of it breaking. So, I am stuck with these cabinets for a while. I had a guy come and give me a quote on painting, it was $2400. That is a good start on all NEW cabinets, so I don't want to go that route. Also, I am the sloppiest painter in the world. I try to cut corners and things turn out awful! Anyone have any ideas? Otherwise, I am going to paint them myself. Arghhh!

7 comments:

Chelsea and Cody said...

The funniest thing about this whole post is that you were taking PICTURES while Megan was throwing her fit! I laughed so hard at those pics, as I could honestly hear in my head her cries...! hehe! Love ya!

karenjbriggs said...

Ha! I have three boys. All of them have to have a washcloth next to them when they eat because they like to be clean...what's wrong with this picture? So, needless to say, I haven't had the joy of a messy eater:) She sure is cute, though!

Ashley Wray said...

Love the messes, Megan will totally owe you in about 50 years! I too am the sloppiest painter, Andrew is a perfectionist luckily so our paint jobs have turned out ok! I hate our cabinets too and have thought about painting them but I don't know how! If you get any good advice, send it my way! How are you feeling these days? You're on the countdown right?

Shelly Hanson said...

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL Would it be wrong to say that I think sometimes I feel like I'm sitting on my brain???


Sometimes...

I totally get you Ian!

Celeste said...

Oh the messes! Mine have just started. It's a good thing she's cute right!

Wendy said...

I SO totally understand buddy:-) I used to wipe down the table and chairs after every single meal...but that's stopped (now I just leave them nasty for the most part). Is that a new table and chairs (did you buy them from the former owner?)? I really like them! Bummer news about the cabinets...I wonder if you could hire a "handyman" (such as Handy Manny)...they have a bunch listed in the classifieds. xoxo!

Nels, Drea, and Crew said...

Gotta love those messes! I feel for ya! You are on the countdown, how are ya feeling? Good luck with the counter tops, I am a horrible painter too. Hopefully you will be able to figure something out.