We are on the countdown at the Smith home to Christmas! I love traditions, and we have quite a few. One of my favorite traditions is wrapping 25 Christmas books (we use the same ones over each year) and then the kids "open a present" each night in December and we read the book. The kids LOVE it. Aunt Karrie gave us that great idea. Our final book (on Christmas Eve) is "I Believe in Santa Claus". It is incredible. It totally makes the connection between Santa and the true meaning of Christmas. It talks about the symbols of Christmas. We have a little box that we pull out our little symbols and discuss each one. Really, if you have kids, get this book.
Another tradition is the gingerbread house. I had these great ambitions this year to make a gingerbread house from scratch, but then my senses got the best of me and I bought one from Costco. The kids got to decorate with their cousin, Holden, in town from Chicago.




In other news, I have been doing really fun things lately like washing the walls and cleaning out cupboards. Am I a clean freak, you ask? No. My husband doesn't like me to shop for Christmas without him. I know, crazy man. So, while all of you are out there shopping to your heart's content, I am home cleaning, until Kevin has some time to go shopping with me. Hmmmm . . . maybe the refrigerator today . . . yuck.
The Best Apple Crisp
3 days ago
6 comments:
WHAT! Your husband shops with you!? That is amazing! Jacob went with me to walmart on Saturday with the kids and I think it may have traumatized him for life. . . he'll try it again in another four years or so. Sigh. ..
And, I LOVE the book idea! Thanks for the heads up on the book - it's my new favorite hobby to collect Christmas books.
Love you!
I love the Christmas book idea, so fun! And your gingerbread houses turned out cute, Megan looks very proud :) And way to go on the scrubbing, I wish I had that motivation! Have fun shopping with your hubby, he probably just wants to make sure he's keeping you on budget :) That's the only reason Andrew ever wants to come with me!!!
Nels and Kevin must come from the same mold because Nels likes to go shopping with me too. Your traditions sound so fun! We hope to see you around Christmas, we are going to Fairfield but only for a few nights.
So fun! You're kids are getting so big.
PLEASE tell me you got a major hand cramp from piping the Costco gingerbread frosting... cuz I sure did! I even made each of the kids do a row of the roof, so I could have a break!
We miss you.
So Fun...I can't wait to start the book tradition...it is a wonderful one. Not long until we get to see you and those cute kiddos! 5 days!
I love that idea for a tradition. We usually read a Christmas story every evening in December but this year has been hit and miss. Wrapping the books is so fun!
Post a Comment