Well, we have had quite the adventure the past few days. A very stressful but very rewarding adventure, to say the least. Our little Hunter Stone was born on Friday night via emergency C-section. He was 6 lbs. 6 ounces, 20 inches long and 4 weeks early.
We had gone to Kevin's grandfather's funeral in Provo Friday morning. After the service, I decided to stay at Kevin's Aunt and Uncle's house to rest while everyone else drove to Tooele for the internment. While I was there, I was trying desperately to feel the little guy kick. (I can usually always feel him if I just sit still for 5 minutes). Anyway, I didn't feel him. Then, I ate some milk and PB (the nurse told me that should always get them moving) I laid down again and still didn't feel him. I was just praying and praying that Heavenly Father would help me feel him kick, and if I couldn't feel him, that He would help me know what to do. It was very clear to me after a couple of hours of this that I needed to go to the hospital. I drove myself (everyone was still in Tooele) to the closet hospital and checked in. They immediately put me on the monitor and found the heart rate. "Whew" I thought, "everything is okay." Well, unfortunately, it wasn't. They monitored me for a hour (in the time which Kevin arrived) and noticed that he still wasn't moving. His heart rate then took a big drop for a minute, then came back up. After that drop, the nurse was on the phone with my Doctor, the on call Doctor and a million other people trying to decide what to do. She came in and told us that everyone agreed that they should deliver me. The gave me an epidural, then a shot of pitosin. The pitosin triggers contractions and they wanted to see how the baby would react to a contraction. Well, he didn't respond very well and his heart rate dropped once again, then recovered. They then decided that he wouldn't tolerate a normal delivery and they would have to do a c-section. They thought, however, that the c-section would be nice and easy, with the Doctor being able to essentially take him time. Unfortunately, after I had been off the pitosin for a few minutes, baby's heart rate plummeted and they couldn't find it. They rushed me in to the OR and had him out in just a couple of minutes. He was moving when they got him out, but his apgar score was a 3 (out of 10).
Insert a little funny: Dr. Bean who delivered Hunter was quite the jokster, he told me after everything was over "Thanks, I have always wanted to do that!". Teeheehee! He was joking around quite a bit so I just assumed when he said to the nurse "Call X-Ray and tell them to come and see if I left anything in her." that he was joking. He wasn't! I guess when you are having a regular c-section, they have time to count their sponges, tools, etc. But with the emergency c-section they don't. So, yes, they had to x-ray me to make sure I didn't have anything left inside. I felt like the Operation board game.
Back to the story. I got to see Hunter for 2 seconds before they took him to the NICU. He is now doing well, but the neonatologists have said that he will probably be there for a month. (We are really hoping that they say that to keep on the safe side and that he will come home sooner.) Our main concern now is his breathing. Here are some pictures of our little guy. His breathing apparatus (called a "c-pap") makes him look like an elephant, so we have been calling him Dumbo. He is doing really well and learning how to breathe all by himself.
He looks so much like Ian!

We are doing well, I was released from the hospital on Monday. I will say that is one of the hardest things we have ever had to do . . . leave the hospital without our son. But, we know he is being very well cared for. We are putting lots of miles on the car traveling back and forth to the hospital where we delivered which is about 40 minutes from our house. We are so appreciative of all our wonderful family, friends and neighbors and the help you are providing. We have been told by 5 different Doctors on different occasions that if we had not gone in to the hospital that day, that he would be gone. My trust and faith in the Savior has certainly sky-rocketed knowing that He really is watching over us and truly does guide seeking parents to make the best decisions for their children.
23 comments:
Tears again. I am so grateful you posted your story. I got a slightly different one from Jason. ;o) We'll just say it was a man's version. You are all in our constant prayers and in our hearts. I wish there was something more active we could do from so far away. You can send me Ian or Meggie, they would surely have a blast here (lots of snow and warmer weather).
I have learned so much from you and gained strength from your strength. I know there's a reason for everything! Thank you for sharing your testimony through your trials, it's one of the hardest things to do. Love you all. Carolyn
I'm so sorry Amanda!
Is Dr. Bean's first name Greg? Greg Bean moved from our ward last year to go practice at Timpanogos. He and his family are so great. I'm sure he's an exellent dr. too. What a small world!
I love you! I'm glad you're doing ok. You and Kevin are so amazing!
WOW! What an experience. I was going to call you today, but got distracted, but you have been on my mind a LOT recently. I know why now. .
He is gorgeous! We will keep Hunter in our prayers and pray for his safe arrival at home. Way to follow the spirit, Amanda! What a wonderful mom you are! Love you!
Amanda! I didn't even know you were pregnant! My goodness girl! I cannot even tell you how incredibly happy I am for you guys, and so filled with relief and gratitude that everything ended up ok. I must be super hormonal but I just started weeping when I read this- good thing Dustin is out of town so he doesn't have to witness his crazy wife bawling over her computer! Hunter is absolutely beautiful, you are such an amazing example to me, even though I haven't seen you in a few years! A million gazillion congratulations from me and Dustin, please keep us updated, we will be anxious to hear all about your knew little guy! We love you guys!
What a cutie! We are SO GLAD that he is here and doing well. You also look great!
We are hoping to get Ian and Meggie over here tomorrow for some fun play action. Carter has been asking me all day when they get to come over.
We love you guys so much and are praying that Hunter will continue to get stronger and stronger every day!
Oh my goodness!! i didn't even know you were pregnant! I am so happy that everything is ok... well almost. He is a beautiful boy and I am so happy for you guys. And what a story... I can't believe all that! We will be praying for you and Hunter.
Amanda - thank you for the update. What a blessing that little Hunter is here - I'm sure you have been overwhelmed by the miracles. As always you are a true testament of faith and perspective. My prayers are definitely coming your way.
Oh my goodness Mandy, totally teary eyed! So glad he made it here safe and sound and is doing well. When my mom told me he had made quite a "dramatic" arrival I just felt a knot in my stomach the rest of the day. You are amazing (and you look amazing too!) I love the name and am so glad everyone is a-ok. We love you all and will be keeping you all in our prayers! congrats!
I had to take a moment to pull myself together so that I could even leave a comment! I just cried my eyes out! I just cannot even imagine the emotions and stress you were going though on this day! I am so very very glad that the end result is a good one! Congratulations to the Smith family and what a little fighter and miracle baby Hunter is....and you too!
Congrats, congrats! We, unlike the rest of the family, hadn't heard a word....I think we need to be calling Fairfield more often for the scoop! Thank heavens for blogs!We are so grateful everything is okay and you adorable Hunter (love the name) is safe and here. What a relief! We'll keep your sweet family in our prayers. You look beautiful, as always! Congrats!
We are so glad he is here and doing as well as you can hope for!
He is beautiful! Congrats!
We love baby Hunter!
We are so glad Hunter is doing well. You have been thru quite a journey. You are all in are prayers. Your Mom and I will have to get together - have gma will travel. Sandy Doll
Congratulations!!! I didn't even know you were pregnant! I am so glad you and he are now doing well. We love your family!
Oh Mandy,
Congratulations to you both! Hunter is darling with a dang cute name. So glad things are going good, you have been in our prayers.
I have been waiting for this post! He is so sweet and I hope that he can come home soon. I will keep you all in my prayers.
thankfully I'm not the only one who didn't know you're expecting! Congrats!!!!! So happy everyone is well....and you look amazing. I'm still a few weeks out and I'm not looking nearly so good! Congrats on Baby Hunter!
God bless you all! What an amazing story. Hunter is just beautiful and you and Kevin are such the proud and wonderful parents. What a lucky little guy. We love you! Dave, Sally and Ryan
Congrats Amanda and Kevin! I thought I had heard somewhere that you were pregnant, I am so glad that he is doing well. Leaving a baby at the hospital is very hard. We will keep Hunter in our prayers and hope he is able to come home sooner.
I'm so glad you were paying attention that day Amanda! I would have hated for you guys to go through another loss. Congratulations to all of you. I've been home, sick for the last week and knew nothing about this. I'm glad I decided to look at blogs tonight!
Take care Amanda and Kevin <3
I feel so stupid -- I didn't even know you were expecting! Congratulations on the *safe, miraculous* arrival of your darling little Hunter! An emergency c-section is scary, but I'm so, so glad that everything has worked out, even thought I know it must be so difficult to leave the hospital without your little guy! Prayers to you from me, my friend! Happy, happy news!
Amanda, I am so happy that things worked out!! What a sweet baby!...btw, you look pretty dang good for having just been prego!
Wow! That little guy gave everyone quite the scare! So glad he made it here safely! He is precious, hope you both have speedy recoveries. Lots of love!
Post a Comment